Saturday, December 02, 2006

Begin reactor start up sequence

I just finished pre-nuclear power school, a 3 week course to bring individuals up to speed on math, physics, and heat transfer. The best part of PNPS was that it got be back into the studying tempo, which will help me keep up come Monday.

I graduate at the end of May 07.

So begins the rest of the next 6 months of my nuclear powered career.

I am truly looking forward to learning about nuclear power, and applying it to the world's impending (or some would argue, current) energy crisis, directly, or in the form of power systems in general.

Technology-wise, in order for the human race to progress, we need:
1. Clean, renewable, economically feasible power generation
2. Space exploration and colonization

The latter cannot be achieved without the first, so I'll get cracking!

Back to the topic of power school:

There is an alligator that lives in the front pond of the complex. I've seen him only once - he (or she?) is a decent size - about 5 feet long. There are also turtles that come out to sunbathe when the sun is out - nature watching is a welcome break from the rigors of this program.

More on the reptilian residents of Rickover pond to come!

Fair winds and following seas...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jon,

Good luck in your Navy career! I'd like to invite you to join our "thorium discussion forum" where we are talking about thorium as a future form of nuclear energy. There are some Navy-related threads that you might find especially interesting, since some of the students at the NPS have been investigating future thorium-powered naval vessels.

http://www.energyfromthorium.com/forum/

Rod Adams said...

Jon:

You have me convinced that you are really at NPS - I saw the alligator there a bit more than 6 months ago when I attended my son-in-law's graduation.

I even bought a cap. You can find the story of my trip to the graduation and the photo at

http://atomicinsights.blogspot.com/2006/05/nuclear-power-training-graduation.html

Congratulations on picking a great way to start a nuclear career. May the power be with you!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see you're here. Godspeed.